My Plan for Happy & Healthy Living / How I'm Dealing with Postpartum Depression
Please note that I am not a medical professional and do not advise anyone to do what I am doing. If you think you are suffering from any kind of depression or mood disorder, please speak to a medical professional.
- Vitamin regime: Omega 3, 6, 9 (take one per day after breakfast); change multivitamin to Stress tabs (take one per day after lunch); take Calcium, Magnesium and Vitamin D (vitamin D found to be more effective than lightbox therapy for patients with Seasonal Affective Disorder) at bedtime with yogurt.
- Exercise: I bought a yoga video that I try to do once a week for an hour and take a class once a week. Ideally, I should exercise 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes each time, but twice a week is an improvement from before.
- Socialization: join a class or playgroup since scheduling playdates has been challenging; limit time with negative people
- Sleep: go to bed earlier, wake up before the kids and work out or do something fun (me-time!)
- Nutrition: need to eat more leafy greens, less simple carbs
- Kid-free time:
- Step 1: get a babysitter
- Step 2: make plans to do something fun and preferrably, active (exercise found to be as effective as medication in treating depression)
- Step 3: book babysitter on a weekly basis